Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

ScholarWorks at WMU: Permissions

This is a guide to help people understand and use WMU's scholarly repository.

Permissions to put work in Scholarworks

For full text of student and faculty work to appear in the ScholarWorks repository, each author has to give permission. For work like dissertations, masters & honors theses and research posters, we need a signed ScholarWorks Access Agreement. Each author has the right to embargo their work for a while

Permissions for Honors Theses

In collaboration with the Lee Honors College, we are entering all the honors theses in ScholarWorks. To make the full text of the thesis available, the author has to sign a permission form or access agreement.

Current Students:

  1. Print out the form and fill it out by hand OR fill out the form online and print it
  2. Sign and date the form
  3. Have your faculty advisor sign the form
  4. Submit the permission with your completed thesis


Paper submission:  Print out the form, fill out the information and send it to: Lee Honors College, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5244

Online Submission:

  1. Fill out the form and click the "submit" button at the bottom
  2. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your submission

Permission Forms:

Permissions for Dissertations and Masters Theses

WMU dissertations and master's theses citations will now be made available on ScholarWorks. Authors may wish to publish or patent their work elsewhere and not make the full text of their work available on the institutional repository immediately. Each graduate student is to fill out and submit a ScholarWorks Access Agreement, indicating either open access immediately or an embargo period.

Please open the appropriate form and either

  1. Print the form, fill it out by hand, sign it and attach it to your dissertation or thesis that you send to the Graduate College
  2. Fill out the form online, print it, sign it and attach it to your dissertation or thesis that you send to the Graduate College

Research and Creative Activities Poster Day Permissions

We are soliciting permission from students and their faculty advisors, as well as the Faculty FRAACA Grant awardees, to publish the posters from the 6th annual "Research and Creative Activities Poster Day" on the ScholarWorks site in a dedicated area under the Office of Vice President for Research.

Directions for successfully submitting a permission form:

  1. Click on, fill out and print off the appropriate permission form
  2. Sign and date the form (students will also need to solicit a signature from their faculty advisor)
    • Permissions must be submitted for each author relevant to the work
  3. Scan in the file and email to:
    • Or mail to: ScholarWorks, attn: Lisa Kruse, Waldo Library, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5353.

Reference & ScholarWorks Librarian

Profile Photo
Michele Behr
WMU Libraries